While testing my Samba configuration, I found that permissions are being set
to 'special' for directories being copied from Windows instead of the ACL
being fully populated.  Does Samba 3.6 fully implement ACLS, or are there
further configuration steps for storing the ACL information for directories

Of course you are aware that the normal Windows behavior, which Samba emulates, is to keep ACLs when files are *moved* and modify them according to those of the destination when files are *copied*?