Hi,

after not hearing anything about this issue, I found the problem myself: It is not related to samba, but rather to the AppArmor-Profile for Samba which comes with openSuSE 11.4. The profile, located in /etc/apparmor.d/usr/sbin/smbd only permits access to the home directories on the box, that's why Samba would list the contents of those and not list the contents of any other shares. Adding directory entries defined in other Samba share to /etc/apparmor.d/usr/sbin/smbd solves the problem instantly.

For testing one may simply switch off AppArmor altogether (rcapparmor stop as root). This will directly make any self-defined Samba shares fully functional.

Cheers,
Ray