I am using Samba 3.5.10 bundled with Solaris 10 (with one of the more
recent patch clusters.)    I have a samba PDC so I can't speak to AD
issues.  I have never tried joining samba to an AD domain.

autofs mounts mount on demand, but they also unmount when inactive.
This, I find, can make samba shares based on autofs shares slow to
respond-  especially if there are a lot of autofs directories.     But
then again  autofs is less likely to cause the NFS client machine to
hang up if the server machine is off line.