On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:11 AM CDT, Gaiseric Vandal
<gaiseric.van...@gmail.com> wrote:

> According to the net man page
>

>         In order for Samba to be joined or unjoined remotely an account
> must be
>         used that is either member of the Domain Admins group, a member
> of the
>         local Administrators group or a user that is granted the
>         SeMachineAccountPrivilege privilege.
>

> The simplest thing is probably to have the Domain IT group be a member
> of the local admin group on each machine.  I don't know if you would
> need to grant them the  SeMachineAccountPrivilege.
>

> On 07/17/13 09:44, Donny Brooks wrote:
> >

> > On Saturday, July 13, 2013 04:43 AM CDT, Marc Muehlfeld
> > <sa...@marc-muehlfeld.de> wrote:

> >>   > our IT section was in an ldap group that allowed us to
> >>   > join PC's to the domain ...
> >>
> >> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_AD_DC_HOWTO/AD_Delegation#Delegating_.27Joining_Computers_to_the_domain.27-permissions
> >>

> >>   > ... and when the prompt came up in windows to
> >>   > install software we could log in as ourselves.
> >>
> >> What do you mean by this? Do you want to have a group of users
> >> automatically in the "administrator" group on your workstations?
> >>
> >> http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/2123-add-an-active-directory-group-to-the-local-administrator-group-of-workstation-s
> >>
> >> If you mean something else, please give some more details.
> >>

> >> Regards,
> >> Marc
> >>

> > Yes, on the old domain we had all of our IT staff in a group that was able
> > to join pcs to the domain and install software by inputting their domain
> > credentials when prompted. Looking at the first link that is for Samba 4.X.
> > We are on Samba 3.5.10 so that does not apply.
> >

> --

Looks like I need to do this here:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/groupmapping.html

And map our itgroup to the Domain Admins group. Although we do have a Domain
Admins group in ldap. Should that cause an issue?
--

Donny B.