On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 04:33 PM CDT, Gaiseric Vandal
<gaiseric.van...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/17/13 16:12, Donny Brooks wrote:
> >

> > On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 02:39 PM CDT, Gaiseric Vandal
> > <gaiseric.van...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> OK
> >> I am looking at your original post again.      I don't think you said
> >> which version you had been using.
> >>
> >> net rpc rights grant 'MDAH\Domain Admins' SeMachineAccountPrivilege -S
> >> enterprise -U superusername
> >>

> >> Is the superuser name the domain Administrator account?   The problem
> >> seems to involve the superusername user, not the Domain Admins
> >> group.     I think with older version of samba, the Administrator
> >> account was implicit, and  you could map the windows Administrator to
> >> the unix root account and all was OK.  With the current version I think
> >> you need you create an Administrator samba user  (it doesn't have to be
> >> called Administrator but I would do that just to keep things simple) and
> >> add that user to the Domain Admins group.
> >>
> >> Does "pdbedit -Lv Administrator" or "pbedit -Lv superusername" work?
> >>
> >> You could add the user IT users to the domain admins group.     Then you
> >> have all the privileges you need.    You should  NOT need to grant
> >> SeMachineAccountPrivilege to the Domain Admins group.
> >>
> >> Can you post a sanitized version of the Domain Admin group LDIF?
> >>

> > Yes the "pdbedit -Lv root" returns properly. The super user name is root as
> > that is how it was setup by the guy we contracted to do it. I have added
> > myself to the Domain Admins group but still unable to join a pc to the
> > domain or install software. Here is the Domain Admins LDIF:
> >
> > # Entry 1: cn=Domain Admins,ou=Groups,dc=mdah,dc=state,dc=ms,dc=us
> > dn: cn=Domain Admins,ou=Groups,dc=mdah,dc=state,dc=ms,dc=us
> > cn: Domain Admins
> > displayname: Domain Admins
> > gidnumber: 512
> > memberuid: root
> > memberuid: dbrooks
> > memberuid: jomiles
> > objectclass: posixGroup
> > objectclass: sambaGroupMapping
> > sambagrouptype: 2
> > sambasid: S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-512
> >

> That is how my Domain Admin is set up in LDAP as well.
>
> You might want to try
>
> net rpc rights grant 'MDAH\Domain Admins' SeMachineAccountPrivilege -S
> enterprise -U  MDAH\\root
>

> And, although I don't see how in theory it really should matter you
> might want to create a user actually called "Administrator" who is in
> the Domain Admins group AND has Domain Admins as the default group.
>
> The online samba documentation is a little out of date but suggests that
> you should not have grant rights for Domain Admins anyway. (I think I
> had done this anyway when I moved to 3.4.x from 3.0.x)
>
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/rights.htm
>

> If you log into a Windows domain member  machine as MDAH/root, can you
> do local admin things?  E.g. create local users ?     When I upgraded
> from 3.0.x to 3.4.x somehow I lost my group mappings and didn't recreate
> [...]

Starting to get somewhere I believe:

[root@enterprise ~]# net rpc user info root -U MDAH\\root
Enter MDAH\root's password:
(null)
informix
[root@enterprise ~]# net rpc group members "Domain Admins" -U MDAH\\root
Enter MDAH\root's password:
Couldn't find group Domain Admins
[root@enterprise ~]#

And when I do the first suggested net rpc grant command it fails with: Failed
to grant privileges for MDAH\Domain Admins (NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER).

I will dig into it more in the morning. It is quitting time here. :)

--

Donny B.