Hi,

I had the same problems you descripted but here it's all good now :)
Running samba 2.2.5 as PDC for 475+ WinXP clients, each using 6 shares at least.

deadtime =120 and we have not had a complaint about lost drives for 3 days

So far so good...

during the investigations we found that even though win xp had completely logged out (even turned off the maching in one case) the user
was still appearing in smbstatus

Same here last week.

# socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=4096

Got ya... change that to:

socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_NODELAY
read raw = Yes
write raw = Yes

And make sure your OS's tcp-stack tcp time wait interval is lowered:
On SunOS it's configured with ndd -set /dev/tcp : TCP_CLOSE_WAIT_INTERVAL=30000
On Linux it's configured with /etc/sysctl.conf / sysctl -p
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 5000 <-- Play with this and do netstat -an | grep "WAIT" | wc -l (must be low)
net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout = 30

Goodluck,
Leroy
The Netherlands