Hi,

I'm running samba 2.2.3a-12.3 on Debian Linux (i686). The network is 100Mbit switched and I can ftp data off the server at 9Mb/sec. If I use either the Finder GUI under Mac OS X or mount manually via Terminal, and then try to copy a file I get less than 64k/sec! I don't ever remember having much better speeds than this while using the various versions of Mac OS X. Windows users can access the server with no problems. A 600Meg file will take several days for mac users - all mac users seem to have this problem with my server (5 of them) - but 5 mins. for a windows user.

Interestingly copying files from windows machines works as expected - I can copy a 600Mb file to my mac in 5 mins. from a WinXp machine (via smb).

I suspect there's probably something wrong with my samba config, but not sure what. I've played with settings - to little effect - and searched the net without finding anything of use.

If anyone at all has seen this and/or knows what the problem/solution is, I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks,

James
(My samba config if it's of any use)
[global]
workgroup = WINCHESTER
netbios name = CRAY
server string = %h server (Samba %v)
interfaces = eth0 127.0.0.1
bind interfaces only = Yes
security = SERVER
encrypt passwords = Yes
password server = 172.16.0.10
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spas
sword:* %n\n .
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
log level = 2
syslog = 0
max log size = 0
debug pid = Yes
large readwrite = Yes
min protocol = COREPLUS
deadtime = 5
socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=409
6
load printers = No
dns proxy = No
wins server = 172.16.0.11