However, the advantage that GPO's had when I used them is that they seem to take effect immediatly where some of the registry edits with kixtart don't...

The reason for this is that in a native 2K domain, you can set a GPO refresh interval that downloads and applies updated GPOs. We could certainly implement something similar to that, whether with Kixtart or developing a new app...

I didn't mean that so much... although that is something else... I meant more that if I have a common My Documents folder (and at home I do) if I change the logon script to point to a new folder it takes two logons to have that folder redirected.

I'm assuming it works like this...

1. Log on
2. Read location of My Documents
3. Run Logon Script / Set Registry
4. Log off
5. Repeat

So that there is no second step 2 until repeated...

Matt