From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Jim Shanks
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 4:17 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Same Problem.... RE: [Samba] Can see server,but can't see
shares. Whazzup?

I noticed a couple of things in you smb.conf that have given me problems in
the past.  You have the OS level at 32 which should cause this machine to
win all elections as the master browser, but WINS support is not on, which
means after it wins the election, it won't provide any name resolution and
you won't be able to browse you network.  You can lower your OS level to 20
or turn on WINS support.  If you have another wins server, you will have to
reference it as the primary wins server.

Also, you socket options look a lot different than anything that I have
seen.  I don't know if it's causing a problem, but I would leave them at the
default for testing.

I will post a smb.conf that I have been using on my primary domain
controller for two years now.  I has gone through minor changes with the
various versions of 2.2.x samba, and it is running on a 2.2.9 server now.
You should be able to use the WINS stuff.  This one will not work with a 3.x
domain controller.

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = LRLEC-DOMAIN
        netbios name = CRUISER
        server string = LRLEC File Server
        interfaces = eth0 172.17.0.0/16 lo
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        update encrypted = Yes
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password:* %n\n *new*password:* %n\n
*updated*successfully.*
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        time server = Yes
        unix extensions = Yes
        domain admin group = @admins
        domain guest group = nobody
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s
/bin/false -M %u;passwd -l %u
        delete user script = userdel %u
        logon script = netlogon.bat
        logon path = \\%L\%U\.profile
        logon drive = H:
        logon home = \\%L\%U
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 65
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        admin users = administrator
        write list = administrator,root
        printer admin = administrator,root
        hosts allow = 172.17.0.0/16 127.0.0.1
        hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
        printing = cups
        dos filemode = Yes
        dos filetimes = Yes
        dos filetime resolution = Yes

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /home/samba/netlogon
        browseable = No

[profiles]
        comment = Personal Profile Folder
        path = \\%L\%U\.profile
        read only = No
        profile acls = Yes
        browseable = No

[public]
        comment = Public Files and Folders on Server %h
        path = /home/samba/public
        force group = +users
        read only = No
        create mask = 0774
        directory mask = 0775
        oplocks = No
        level2 oplocks = No

[samba-root]
        comment = Top Level Shared Directory on Server
        path = /home/samba
        valid users = administrator, ddj, jshanks
        read only = No
        create mask = 0774
        directory mask = 0775

[tools]
        comment = Tools and Utilities for Windows Workstations
        path = /home/samba/tools
        force group = +users
        read only = No
        create mask = 0774
        directory mask = 0775

[911home]
        comment = Lake Region 911 Group Folder
        path = /home/samba/911home
        force group = +911users
        read only = No
        create mask = 0774
        directory mask = 0775

[dlpdhome]
        comment = DL Police Dept. Group Folder
        path = /home/samba/dlpdhome
        force group = +dlpdusers
        read only = No
        create mask = 0774
        directory mask = 0775

[rcsdhome]
        comment = Ramsey County Sheriff Dept. Group Folder
        path = /home/samba/rcsdhome
        force group = +rcsdusers
        read only = No
        create mask = 0774
        directory mask = 0775

[correctionshome]
        comment = Corrections Group Folder
        path = /home/samba/correctionshome
        force group = +correctionsusers
        read only = No
        create mask = 0774
        directory mask = 0775

[archives]
        comment = Archived Files for All Users
        path = /home/archives
        read only = No
        create mask = 0774
        directory mask = 0775

[lechome]
        comment = LEC Administration Users Group Folder
        path = /home/samba/lechome
        force group = +lecusers
        read only = No
        create mask = 0774
        directory mask = 0775

[users-homes]
        comment = User's Home Folders
        path = /home/users
        read only = No
        create mask = 0774
        directory mask = 0775

[lecadmin]
        comment = LEC Administration Shared Folder
        path = /home/samba/lecadmin
        force group = +users
        read only = No
        create mask = 0774