Dwight Tovey wrote:

Robert Adkins said:

Samba utilizes the UNIX File permissions for telling Windows machines
who can do what with a file. Due to this, you have a decent User and
Group set of controls you can place on the files/directories that you
choose to share with Samba.

Without having users in the passwd file, Samba wouldn't be able to
utilize those access rights.

Yeah, it can be a paine, but it does a good job.

If having multiple user account information to track is a pain, may I
suggest converting to NIS or LDAP for user authentication?

I am also trying to set up a Samba server without having to define local
Unix users. Using LDAP is fine for what we want to do. From what you are
saying then, will I need to also install nss_ldap in order to get the
proper access control?

I am unsure, I have a small installation running and haven't been sufficiently motivated to move onto LDAP or NIS at this time. Currently, I stick with seperate passwd/group and smbpasswd files.

If we weren't concerned about access control,
could we just use the 'force user/group' parameters and not install
nss_ldap?

I am unsure, that's something I haven't needed to research or implement yet.

   I am sorry that I was only as helpful as I was previously.

   -Rob