Dusan Djordjevic wrote:

On Monday 04 October 2004 09:54, David Ferreira wrote:

Dusan Djordjevic wrote:

I used to run Samba 2.2.9 on Debian Woody. Yesterday I upgraded it
(with all necessary packages) to 3.0.7. Since then, Samba on that
server do not respond to netbios queries, only to direct access via
IP. Also, when I try to resolv its name using nmblookup, I cannot
find it.

When I access to server via IP address everything works fine.

Hi again,

Yet I did not solved problem. I noticed one thing. Although nmbd is
running (it exists as process), swat says it is not running. So most
probably problem is with nmbd, but i do not know what to try.

Did you tried to startup manually from command prompt? Just try to
run as root nmbd -D and see what happen.

Yes, it starts in that case also. Problem is that, although process exists, it is not working properly.

And running the command "nmblookup machinename" it should give it something like this:

#nmblookup machinename
querying machinename on 192.168.1.255
192.168.1.22 machinename<00>
#

did you have on your smb.conf any of this parameters?
dns proxy
wins proxy
wins server
wins support

anyway, I think your problem must be related to winbind, not wins, because I think you don't have any wins server in your network. Is that right? Is winbind daemond running? something remarkable on log files? increase verbose level of logs if not, and please, give more specs about your system and network configuration. clients work properly? what are the OS of clients? some firewall update on smb server? Did you have try to downgrade to check if working?

David Ferreira