Dusan Djordjevic wrote:

did you have on your smb.conf any of this parameters?
dns proxy
wins proxy
wins server
wins support

I have plain workgroup. For testing purposes, I have samba on problematic server and only one Win XP client (not SP2). I also use my laptop with linux for testing.

Logs do not show anything problematic. Everything works fine. When I try to resolve some other machine name from that problematic server, it works. No firewalls or anything similar. Nothing of that settings up there. In browse list, in /var/cache/samba/browse.dat nmbd writes name of workgroup and server itself, but it cannot resolve its own name. winbind is not running, i do not need it in workgroup.

Have you tried adding "use sendfile = no" in your smb.conf? have you added wins in /etc/nsswitch.conf in section "hosts:"?