Denis Vlasenko schrieb:

On Monday 04 October 2004 12:49, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hello,

I haven't found anything useful googling around so I decided to ask here.

I have a Linux server running Samba on 100Mbit/s ethernet. If I connect to
it using WinXP, mount some share and download files from it it reaches
about 9MB/s transfer rate. Using FTP gives even higher transfer rates.

BUT
when I use linux to connect to (linux!) server, mount shares and download
files then transfer speed reaches only about 3-4 MB/s. Using smbclient is a
bit faster (0.5-1MB but not always). Using other linux workstations (faster
machine) i could only boost transfer rate to 5.0-5.5MB/s.

Server and workstation machines are using 2.4.27 and samba 2.2.12
(slackware distro).

Is anyone familiar with this issue?

You may want to dig more facts:

* is server CPU 100% loaded or not? Client CPU?
* does bandwidth increase if you download several large files
 from same share in parallel?

You may use attached program to collect various statistics.
I compiled it with dietlibc.
--
vda

hi have you killed the so called web service on the xp client, this is highly recommended
for better performance, read the samba faqs about this
regards