I am a Samba newbie who has just set up a Samba server running under
Fedora Core 3 and a client running under Win 98.

When I log in, I get the message:
        No domain server was available to validate your password.  You
        may not be able to gain access to some network resources.

Also, Any attempt to see the network from "Network Neighborhood" or from
"Windows Explorer" fails with the error box:
        Unable to browse the network
        .
        The network is not accessible
        For more information ...

I have run all the tests in the HOWTO section:
        .../Samba-HOWTO-Collection/diagnosis.html
up to and including the last two:
        C:\WINDOWS>net use x: \\claremont\TMP
on the client, which does, in fact make the device x: on my client
equivalent to /tmp on my server, and
        $ nmblookup -M MYGROUP
        querying MYGROUP on 192.168.255.255
        192.168.1.35 MYGROUP<1d>
on the server, which looks OK.

Nevertheless (to repeat) attempts to browse the network from "Network
Neighborhood" or from "Windows Explorer" all fail.

I have taken some logs with ethereal.  The one attached, windowsLogin
shows activity from starting smbd and nmbd, through logging on from the
windows machine (amito) and and attempt to browse the network from it.
I have also attached my smb.conf file.

The network is very small.  It consists of only 3 machines:

        # Gateway to the Internet and name server for the local net
        192.168.0.1     homeportal.gateway.2wire.net

        # Windows client
        192.168.1.34    amito.localdomain       amito

        # Linux Samba server
        192.168.1.35    claremont.localdomain   claremont

What's going on?

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2005/04/07 17:33:00

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = MYGROUP
        server string = Samba Server
        auth methods = guest, sam
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        name resolve order = lmhosts host bcast
        server signing = auto
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes