I'm running FC3, kernel 2.6.9-1.667, with the KDE desktop. This came with Samba v 3.0.11-fc3 bundled. I've since installed v 3.0.14a. I'm also extremely new to Linux, so please bear with me.

My questions are very basic. The FC3-bundled samba is in /etc/samba, and the "upgrade" went into /usr/local/samba. To get SWAT to work, I had to copy the smb.conf that's in /etc/samba into /usr/local/samba/lib. However, this latter version is not read by the networking functionality, or by CUPS--only when I used KDE's samba editor to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf was I able to see my Linux box from my Windows machines (running Win2k) or get printing to work. I have 2 samba versions installed, but my system is still using only the older version.

So: How do I point SWAT at the etc/samba version? How do I get my system to use the newer version in its different location? More optimally, how do I control the installation destination directory, so that I can install future versions (including reinstalling 3.0.14a) into /etc/samba?

Thanks for your help.

Eric Hines

If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own life, then you are like a mouse trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.
--Anonymous