On Dec 26, 2005, at 5:43 PM, Justin Pearce wrote:

In the interest of better compatibility for file stores and
authentication, we are trying to implement a Linux machine as a primary domain controller using SAMBA and LDAP. The goal is to have both Windows
XP computers and Mac OS X computers able to authenticate against the
PDC, thereby allowing access to appropriate file stores on the network.

On the Mac clients, take a look at "Directory Access" in the "Utilities" subdirectory of the "Applications" directory -- if you haven't already. There seems to be an option to configure Samba/CIFS authentication. Check it, select it, and choose "configure" to set the workgroup and wins server.

While it is easy to have the Windows machines authenticate against the
server without LDAP, I seem to be unable to use the server as an
authentication source for the Mac OS X machines unless I try to use
LDAP.

Apple's Xserve uses OpenLDAP for authentication, so if you get it right, the Macs will behave pretty much like they would in a native Mac environment. Note that a Mac user can authenticate against an LDAP server to mount his home directory through NFS, and then mount file shares using SAMBA or NFS or Appletalk, and that could be a second authentication to the same or to a different server.

The problem I seem to have is that I can only get Windows to work with
the server or OS X to work with the server, but not both. Unfortunately,
I am rather new to this area and I cannot seem to find any good
documentation or examples thus far. Has anyone tried this or have some
experience in this area and could provide some suggestions or references
to implementation?

But here are some folks who have apparently done just what you are trying.
http://www.cs.dixie.edu/ldap/server/