Hi all,

I've had cross-subnet browsing working in Samba in the past, though I tend to struggle with it each time I set it up. For whatever reason, I can't seem to get things working this time.

Details: The Samba server (ARISTOTLE) is in the 172.16.0.x subnet and my XP desktop (TIMAEUS) is in 192.168.0.x. There is no NAT or firewall running in between the subnets. Aristotle acts as a WINS server and is recognized as such in Timaeus' ipconfig output. Name lookups work fine, as verified by MS's nblookup tool. Also, I can browse shares on Aristotle using \\aristotle, so the problem is just that the server doesn't register for browsing.

I ran a capture using ethereal, and everything in there looks OK. The desktop boots up and registers its name with WINS on the server. Shortly thereafter, the desktop looks up the DMB against WINS (which is the server - it's the only one on the network), and sends it a "Backup List Request" to which the server sends a "Backup List Response" naming itself as the backup server. And that's it. Now, from what I can tell from reading the SMB protocol specs, the desktop is supposed to contact the named backup server in order to sync up its browse list. But that doesn't happen - there's nothing else in the packet capture, and no errors anywhere in the level 3 Samba logs or in the desktop's event logs. So it seems like everything works except for the very last step. Any idea what's going on?

What I'm guessing to be the relevant parts of smb.conf follow. If I can provide any more info, let me know.

Thanks,
Todd

smb.conf:

workgroup = SOPHROSUNE
server string = File/Print Server
security = user

guest account = guest
(this account exists on the server)
local master = yes
os level = 99
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes

domain logons = yes
(last time I set this up, this seemed to be needed for cross-subnet browsing, but I don't really know. Something about IPC$ connections?)

wins support = yes

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes
    valid users = %S
    hosts allow = 192.168.0.
    hosts deny = 127.0.0.1

[netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /usr/local/lib/samba/netlogon
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    share modes = no
(Like domain logons, prior experiments seemed to show that this was needed, but I don't really know.)