If they are working great as PDC's, I wouldn't worry too much. As a file server in an Active Directory environment, the Red Hat version of Samba on RHEL4 is, in my opinion, unacceptably broken. It's little things like file locking not working right and strange other quirks that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I'm sure RHEL5 will include updated and better working packages, but I wouldn't even think of trying to run an AD integrated file server on RHEL4 with stock packages for a production environment. I already tried it.

Eric J. Feldhusen wrote:
Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:
Looks like a kernel issue to me. Have you reported this to Red Hat ?
No, because I run samba-3.0.23c in stead of the RHEL4 Samba 3.0.10
which is broken wrt. workgroup master browsers.  Your recent Samba
versions solve the problems, but I'm sure Redhat won't accept a bug
report when I don't use their Samba code - and they didn't even respond
when several people reported the mentioned bug in RHEL's Samba :-(

If I should report a kernel lock bug to Redhat, how can I explain that
it's Redhat's problem ?

Just curious, I've seen several references on this list to the RHEL4
Samba 3.0.10 rpm, with regards to bugs not fixed, patches not applied,
etc..

Just how broken is the RHEL4 samba?  I ask since I have 20 Samba PDC's
on RHEL4.