We find it convenient to keep thunderbird email client profiles on our home shares rather than in our user profiles, as is the default. From time to time some users experience the dreaded "delayed write failed" error for certain thunderbird files. The only solution seems to be to log off and log on again. (after clicking OK to accept the error about seven times).

We are sharing lots of autocad and engineering files on other shares and we never see a delayed write failed error on those, so it seems to me that it is not a general networking problem, but rather a thunderbird or home share problem. Are there any tuning tips for the home share that might help?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ uname -a
Linux gecko.tippingmar.com 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4 #1 Tue Jul 11 22:41:06 EDT 2006
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ rpm -q samba
samba-3.0.24-1

in smb.conf:
[global]
        workgroup = STA
        server string = FileServer
        log level = 1
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 500
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
        time server = Yes
        load printers = No
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 99 -c machine -M
%u
        logon script = logscript.bat
        logon path = \\gecko\profiles\%u
        domain logons = Yes