At the moment I have enabled timeSync with vmware tools.

In the general area of time keeping on the host, I added the following settings which avoided errors about the RTC missing interrupts:
host.usefastclock=false
host.cpukHz=2400000
host.useTSC=true
ptsc.useTSC=true

I have two other machines similarly configured (with the exception of running other linux applications not samba).

Ntpdate seems to be installed as it is part of the ubuntu-server default config. However, my other machines seem to run it ok. If anything they fall behind a bit and the vmware sync keeps them up-to-date.

Adam Zimmer
President
Arius Software Corporation
(519) 885-9045 x122

Ian McDonald wrote:

How are your time sync options set for the VM? Is it keeping time ok? (note,AFAIR, you're not supposed to run NTP within a VM.).

--
ian