You are correct that I should have had "wins support" set to no rather than yes. Here's how the smb.conf man page describes that option:

   This boolean controls if the nmbd(8)
   <http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/nmbd.8.html> process
   in Samba will act as a WINS server. You should not set this to |yes|
   unless you have a multi-subnetted network and you wish a particular
   |nmbd| to be your WINS server. Note that you should /NEVER/ set this
   to |yes| on more than one machine in your network.

HOWEVER, setting it to No, did not fix this problem:

User joeblow with invalid SID
user 'joeblow' (form session setup) not permitted to access this share (home)

Wes

Helmut Hullen wrote:
Hallo, Wes,

Du (wmodes) meintest am 12.05.08:

It seems that the %U variable, causes Samba to do a
lookup_global_sam_name which fails.

    [EMAIL PROTECTED] smbclient -Ujoeblow
    '\\edgar.library.ucsc.edu\home' xxxxxxxx
           tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

I've seen this message when "winbindd" is running - my samba server (now 3.0.28a) doesn't need "winbindd". It's the one and only server.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut

--

Wes Modes
Server Administrator & Programmer Analyst