The [homes] share is configured similarly to the [home] share, though one would mount it different:

\\fileserver.ucsc.edu\home   for the [home] share
\\fileserver.ucsc.edu\wmodes for the [homes] share

and for users who have the problem, they have the SID problem in mounting both shares.

On my server, even for those accounts that work fine, there is little similarity in the SID for the domain and the user's SambaSID, and the SambaPrimaryGroupSID.

I am beginning to suspect, I reset the machine SID after I created many of my accounts. And so the old SID somewhere somehow encoded within the user's old SambaSID turns up as invalid.

If anybody knows how to specify that I can trust these accounts so I don't have the SID problem, that'd be swell.

W.

Charlie wrote:
The first part of any SID is the domain portion.  It should be pretty
constant throughout your domain as I understand things.  When dealing
with users and groups, the bit after the last dash is the RID or
relative ID and it must be unique within the domain.  Really really
unique!  If samba created your user & group sids the groups will be
odd-numbered and users will be even-numbered.

So, for example, the domain SID for my domain looks somewhat like this:

SID for domain DARKAGES is: S-1-5-21-267844371-1268535915-2638854549

And the SID for my PDC and BDCs are exactly the same, although other
servers (that are not either PDCs or BDCs) have their own unique SIDs.

My personal SID looks like this:  S-1-5-21-267844371-1268535915-2638854549-1802

Notice my RID of 1802 on the end there?  I have a uidNumber of 401 on
the POSIX side.  The beginning bit seems to define my domain
membership, though.

If I change the domain SID on my PDC with "net setlocalsid" I can no
longer log in using my own account, apparently because I do not have
the right SID.  There are ways to get around that involving winbind
and/or domain trust accounts - but I can't explain those things
because I don't understand them either.  My knowledge of CIFS and
samba is pretty shallow.

We may be off in the weeds here, though - you should check out samba's
automagical [homes] share and see if you can make it do what you want
without having to do the %U thing.

--Charlie