John H Terpstra wrote:
On Tuesday 27 May 2008 05:45:24 pm Daniel L. Miller wrote:
OK, payment in advance: :-) :-) :-)

Wait a minute, let me change currencies....

Awe .. forget it! ;-)

I'm assuming my last payment still has me covered - if you need more retainer please let me know.

Almost there.  Really....

Do I NEED those builtin groups for anything?  Do I WANT those builtin
groups for anything (besides avoiding those nuisance error messages in
my samba logs)?

You do not need them specifically. They can be useful, but they are certainly not essential.

I'm still coming up with a good question to ask on this part....

First: Do NOT use a domain name that has a '.' in it.  That has
unexpected name resolution consequences.  A Samab smb.conf workgroup=
parameter should not have a dot in it.
Ok...now that I've setup everything (again, for the nth time), do I need
to reconfigure the server and every client?  Or just rename it on the
server and the change will automagically propagate?

It is safer to re-add your clients to the domain. Even though it is the domain SID that really matters. If it changes you can reset it to the original value, there are some operations that are tied to the domain name, so it is best to readd the clients to the domain.

Is there a better (read: more efficient, automated, less labor-intensive, more fun, whatever) method to re-add than manually visiting each workstation (either physically or via RDC of some sort), leaving the old domain, and then joining the new one?

--
Daniel