Thanks to all who responded. A combination of mails helped answer most questions. I had _completely_ missed the 'map to guest' param. So now I can log on to a share as a guest with no passwd.

However, I have to know the share I want to log onto. I am still unable to browse the WORKGROUP itself.

Perhaps this is an M$ bias poking through, but from my experiences of both Domains _and Workgroups in M$, it is normally possible to browse the Domain or Workgroup and see all of the hosts listed in that group. Whether or not you can log on to them however, you only find out when you try to access the specific share. But you are at least able to make a guess/determine which ones based on what you can see. I would've expected SAMBA to behave much the same.

Am I wrong in this?

Again, relevant smb.conf now looks like;

[global]
       workgroup = HOME
       netbios name = Bottlenose
       server string =
       os level = 95
#       domain master = Yes
       preferred master = Yes
       interfaces = lo, eth1
       bind interfaces only = Yes
       security = user
       passdb backend = tdbsam
       guest account = nobody
       map to guest = Bad User
       encrypt passwords = Yes
       unix password sync = Yes
       passwd program = /usr/bin/userpasswd %u
       passwd chat = *password:* %n\n *password:* %n\n *successfully.*
       restrict anonymous = 2
       log level = 2
       syslog = 0
       log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
       max log size = 50
       time server = Yes
       deadtime = 15
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536 SO_KEEPALIVE
       printcap name = /etc/printcap
       wins support = Yes
       utmp = Yes
       admin users = @admins