Hi Ayushman,

Ayushman Tripathi wrote:
> Hello! I'm currently working towards implementing the option for the Git
> webpage repository.
>
> This patch specifically covers the initial frontend changes.

Thank you for submitting this patch suggestion for review.  As I look
at this so far I don't see the added controls for using a git web page
yet.  What I see is an overloading of the current controls.

> +if ($project->CanUse("homepage") && $project->CanUse("git")) {

That's an insufficient combination.  Many current projects already use
git for their source code and many of them won't want to change their
web page version control at this time.  But having this control logic
would force them to make a web page version control change.

Also it would happen immediately for everyone.  Everyone all at once.
But it will take time for projects that want to change to get ready to
make the change.

Unless I am misunderstanding what is being suggested.  If so please
correct me and get me straightened out.

I believe we will need to implement a new row in the Select Features
administration panel.  Implement a new database field to hold the new
values.  As discussed today in the meeting we think that there should
be an enumeration for different possible version control systems.

There are only three magic numbers.  Zero, One, and Many.  If we are
moving past One then we should set up for the Many case.  I think we
should set up an enumeration of possible version control systems to
include the current CVS and the new incoming GIT.  Let's not include
any more unless more are needed but it allows expansion to more in
the future.  It would allow an SVN project to be set up for SVN for
web pages as well.  And the same for HG.  And so on.  But let's focus
on just the two CVS and GIT for the moment in order to keep things
manageable initially.

This will require altering the schema of the database to include the
new data fields.  And of course new code to interact with those
fields.  I think you will need to ask for help in doing those parts of
the task.  That's going to be expected.

Let me applaud you for getting the standalone setup up and running!
That's really good!  That's better than a lot of people have been able
to do recently.  Good job!

Since you have recently done this I think the best thing to do next is
to get the documentation updated which covers this part of the task.
Just by itself that is a big deal.  Let's make it a better thing by
getting the documentation for doing it updated so that it helps
everyone doing this next.

Good progress! :-)
Bob