/etc/savane/content/gnu-content/README says,

Whoops. It did not even occur to me to look :(.

    "This repository is obsolete; use the 'frontend/site-specific' directory
    of Savane."

That's fine but, just to mention, insufficient in practice.  If I had
seen it, it would have taken me quite a while to translate that into how
to do the actual update.  Wouldn't it be just as easy to be specific,
and say which directory on which host needs to be updated in which
version system?  (Unless you have a cron job running that auto-updates
the front end from commits now. In which case, great. That was never the
case in my time.) Or give a pointer to a doc page which gives the
information.

However, it's not really my place to say. Feel free to do nothing.
Could well be that no one ever looks in that directory again.
I won't be updating it in any case :).

    Should we remove all other files in CVS?

IMHO, yes, better to remove them, or else move them to an archive/
subdir, so it is easy to see what used to be there. (Much more
convenient than messing around with VC history commmands.) If the
directory contained nothing but
  README
  archive/
then it would be completely clear it was no longer used.

Or if a whole directory tree is no longer used, then the same at
wherever the top is. Just my $.02, feel free to ignore.

Signing off,
Karl