I'm so glad to hear that the problem probably came from outside
liquidsoap :) Indeed, it's not a good idea to use liquidsoap on files
that seem local but are not really: this causes some bad surprises.

Instead, it might be a good idea to use a protocol that takes care of
copying the file in a secure place before streaming it... The idea
would be to hook, thanks to add_protocol(), a small script that, ran
on "localize:URI", would copy the seemingly local file "URI" to a
trusty local place "local_URI" and output that address. Liquidsoap
would then play from it. Errors from the copying process would be
handled without any problem, just like any other downloading error.
Unfortunately the story isn't complete yet, because there is no way to
tell liquidsoap that the copied file is temporary, so that it erases
it after use. If you want to go that way for your hardcore application
of liq, pressurize me and I'll add a parameter for you :p

Cheers,

David