Note: forwarded message attached.

Be a better friend, newshound, and
--- Begin Message ---
Hi all:

Of interest I think; apologies if already posted to OBC group but
missed by me.

Merry Xmas and Best Wishes for the New Year!
Martin Williams

Begin forwarded message:

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: December 14, 2007 11:44:44 AM GMT+08:00
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: PEF PR 12142007- DNA studies affirm rarity of RP national bird
>

> DNA studies affirm rarity of RP national bird
>
> The country’s national bird, the Philippine Eagle, is one of a kind,
> not
> only because it is found nowhere else, but also since it has a unique
> evolutionary history, clearly distinguishing it from other giant eagles
> once thought of as its immediate family.
>
> At least this is what a recent study of the Philippine Eagles’ DNA
> suggests.
>
> Scientists from the University of Michigan USA analyzed DNA isolated
> from
> blood samples of Philippine Eagle and those of the Harpy Eagle and
> Crested
> Eagles of the Americas and the New Guinea Harpy Eagle of New Guinea,
> all
> equal heavy weights of the bird world. All of the last 3 giants named
> are
> close relatives as revealed by DNA sequences, but only remotely
> related to
> the Philippine Eagle.
>
> According to Dr. David Mindell of the University of Michigan, the
> Philippine Eagle was once grouped with 5 bird giants (the other two
> being
> the Crowned Eagle and the Solitary Eagle in the Americas) because all
> these species share extremely large size, with female wing-spans
> between
> 1.5 to 2.0 m and female body weights from 6 to 9 kg.
>
> He also said that all of the 5 traditional “harpy eagle group” members
> live in tropical forests, feeding mainly on medium-sized mammals.
>
> “But based on the genetic analyses, the similarities between the
> Philippine Eagle and the other harpies resulted not from kinship but
> from
> convergent change, driven by natural selection for reproductive
> success in
> tropical forests and a shared taste for mammals”, Dr. Mindell added.
>
> Amazingly, Mindell’s team also found that the only distant relatives of
> Philippine Eagles are snake eagles found elsewhere in Southeast Asia
> and
> far Africa. In the Philippines, it is distantly related to the
> featherweight but equally imposing Serpent Eagle, which breeds in this
> country but is also common in Asia.
>
> The study of Dr, Mindell’s team passed expert reviews and was
> published in
> the scientific journal “Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution”.
>
> The country’s conservation flagship, the Philippine Eagle is
> undoubtedly a
> world celebrity.  Dubbed “King of Birds”, this top forest predator is
> unrivaled by any Philippine wildlife in terms of local and
> international
> publicity and interest.

> [...]
www.drmartinwilliams.com - inc article on Phil eagle conservation

This group is run in association with the Oriental Bird Club. To find out more
about the Club and its conservation work, and to become a member, please visit
www.orientalbirdclub.org
Yahoo! Groups Links

--- End Message ---