There are two major methods:

1. Opportunity cost / competitive advantage (the Microsoft model)
2. Recovery cost reductions (the model used by most financial institutions)

Generally, opportunity cost is where an organization can further its goals
by a secure business foundation. This requires the CIO/CSO to be able to
sell the business on this model, which is hard when it is clear that many
businesses have been founded on insecure foundations and do quite well
nonetheless. Companies that choose to be secure have a competitive
advantage, an advantage that will increase over time and will win conquest
customers. For example (and this is my humble opinion), Oracle¹s security is
a long standing unbreakable joke, and in the meantime MS ploughed billions
into fixing their tattered reputation by making it a competitive advantage,
and thus making their market dominance nearly complete. Oracle is now paying
for their CSO¹s mistake in not understanding this model earlier. Forward
looking financial institutions are now using this model, such as my old
bank¹s (with its SMS transaction authentication feature) winning many new
customers by not only promoting themselves as secure, but doing the right
thing and investing in essentially eliminating Internet Banking fraud. It
saves them money, and it works well for customers. This is the best model,
but the hardest to sell.

The second model is used by most financial institutions. They are mature
risk managers and understand that a certain level of risk must be taken in
return for doing business. By choosing to invest some of the potential or
known losses in reducing the potential for massive losses, they can reduce
the overall risk present in the corporate risk register, which plays well to
shareholders. For example, if you invest $1m in securing a cheque clearance
process worth (say) $10b annually to the business, and that reduces check
fraud by $5m per year and eliminates $2m of unnecessary overhead every year,
security is an easy sell with obvious targets to improve profitability. A
well managed operational risk group will easily identify the riskiest
aspects of a mature company¹s activities, and it¹s easy to justify
improvements in those areas.

The FUD model (used by many vendors - ³do this or the SOX boogeyman will get
you²) does not work.

The do nothing model (used by nearly everyone who doesn¹t fall into the
first two categories) works for a time, but can spectacularly end a
business. Card Systems anyone? Unknown risk is too risky a proposition, and
is plain director negligence in my view.

Thanks,
Andrew