On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, Chris Wysopal wrote:

> As a group of security practitioners it is amazing to me that we don't
> have more quantifiable testing and tools/services are just dismissed
> with anecdotal data.  I am glad NIST SATE '09 will soon be underway and,
> at least for static analysis tools, we will have unbiased independent
> testing. I am hoping for a big improvement over last year.  I especially
> like the category they are using for some flaws found as "valid but
> insignificant". Clearly they are improving based on feedback from SATE
> '08.

By the way, I don't recall anybody mentioning this to SC-L before, but the
SATE 2008 writeup and raw data are available:

  http://samate.nist.gov/index.php/SATE.html

In the NIST pub we cover a lot of lessons learned, especially in my paper.
>From the raw data you can see the complexities in doing this kind of
large-scale comparison.  In my opinion, our biggest limitation was not
using live tools.

- Steve