The "playing in traffic" example is one extreme end of the spectrum. A
good analogy for the other end might be physics where you just teach
Newtonian theory it as if it were 100% accurate and then, if the
student decides to take a relativistic physics class, you teach them
on day 1 that everything they know isn't right. It seems teaching
secure programming must lie somewhere between these two ends of the
spectrum.

Perhaps a more useful exercise (rather than debating where in the
gradient through metaphor) is to try to enumerate the variables that
play into what draws a topic toward one end or the other. Such
variables might include:
 * "stickiness" of the bias/habits acquired as you learn more
 * impetus to learn more
 * ability/access to learn more

Just a thought.

p.