The following article was selected from the Internet Edition
of the Chicago Tribune. To visit the site, point your browser
to http://chicagotribune.com/.
----------- Chicago Tribune Article Forwarding----------------

Article forwarded by: Cayata Dixon

Return e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Article URL:
http://chicagotribune.com/news/metro/chicago/article/0,2669,ART-52595,FF.html

---Forwarded article----------------
Changing world, 1 kid at a time

By Meg McSherry Breslin

As he watched his 8th-grade pupils pour out of a majestic church on a
cool June graduation day, Ted Kroeber was exhausted but smiling.

It had been a tough year. A boy confronting the shocking death of his
father. A pupil with a shattered self-confidence combating a lifetime
of school failure. Girls bursting with new hormones, wondering whether
they should have sex for the first time.

Along with the student crises, the 23-year-old teacher his pupils call
"Mr. K" had faced a gut-wrenching decision of his own. Would
he—after two years in the gritty and needy neighborhood he felt
called to serve—continue teaching?

Kroeber is among more than 150 people who have joined one of Chicago's
first innovative attempts to bring a new kind of teacher into the
city's poorest, most troubled neighborhoods. The Inner City Teaching
Corps recruits top college graduates willing to give two years to help
plug a severe teacher shortage in city Catholic schools. After a
summer of training, they are in the classroom and—thanks to a
state law passed in 1997—they can earn an alternative teaching
certificate at the end of their first year.

The fast-track process raises a critical question: Can an energetic,
passionate college graduate who has never stepped foot in an education
course learn to teach well so quickly?

And if that teacher, like Mr. K., doesn't know if he will stay in the
classroom after two years, is it worth giving him a try?

Those questions are under constant scrutiny today as educators grapple
with how to respond to an anticipated shortage of 2 million teachers
in the next decade. Who fills those openings is especially important
given mounting evidence that even the best education reforms fail
without a quality classroom teacher.

As the number of alternative certification programs escalates—45
states now have them—the controversy over the new training models
has only deepened.

Some educators warn that the shortened training will only put more bad
teachers in the classroom. But supporters argue it's past time for a
fresh approach to finding and nurturing the very best people for the
job.

In Mr. K's case, there was no shortage of passion for the challenge.
He wasn't at all sure he wanted to teach as a career—for years,
he had dreamed of becoming a filmmaker—but he fully expected to
change kids' lives.

"My desire to serve in the Inner-City Teaching Corps is an outgrowth
of my quest to change the world," Kroeber wrote in his application.

Still, it didn't take long for the first wake-up call. While Kroeber
was student teaching at St. Malachy Grade School on the city's West
Side in his first summer, an 8th grader was gunned down in daylight at
the end of his own block, apparently an innocent victim in a gang
shooting.

Kroeber was shell-shocked but determined. His pupils would need even
more than he expected.

In his first year, Kroeber worked at a dizzying pace. After finishing
his summer coursework through Northwestern University, he took over
his first class of 8th graders at St. Paul/Our Lady of Vilna in
Pilsen. Many pupils at the school, in a poor, Hispanic neighborhood,
were the first in their families to plan for high school.

That initial year had its highlights. After hours of advice from
mentor teachers observing him in the classroom, he felt his teaching
steadily improve. He earned his alternative teaching certificate.

But there were plenty of setbacks as well. Throughout his first year,
Kroeber had to compile a teaching portfolio that reflected on his
lessons and pupils. In that thick document, his concerns were
obvious.

"They are frustrating as many adolescents are," Kroeber wrote. "They
possess that ... youthful arrogance that was within me just a few
years ago and even still flares up. This is so troublesome to me
because there have been many instances where I have been ignored
solely because I am an adult with some words of advice."

Later, Kroeber was elated after two pupils were accepted to
prestigious boarding schools, but deflated after one dropped out the
following fall. It was also hard to watch a fellow teacher leave ICTC
after finding the job tougher than expected.

But by last fall, when Kroeber took over this, his second class, he
was ready. This would be his chance to make his biggest impact.

In the classroom, Kroeber, a tall, bearded teacher who speaks at a
rapid pace and laughs at his own jokes, is a mix of tough
disciplinarian and warmhearted big brother.

In his second year, Kroeber set two main goals: teach the pupils to
never fear failure and replace hours of TV with a love of books.

The challenges came fast.

In the first week, pupil Jose Bucio confronted a horrifying scene
after walking inside his small brick home around the corner from St.
Paul. His father had just committed suicide. About a week after the
funeral, the disciplined, nearly straight-A pupil returned to class,
quiet and sullen.

Kroeber asked Jose if he wanted to talk. Jose said nothing.

Ulisses Campos was another problem. Kroeber had been warned by other
teachers that the hefty, goofy and fidgety boy with the persistent
stutter was nearly impossible to motivate. He almost always got C's,
D's and failing grades.

And then there was Julian Cano with his attitude problem, folding his
arms and rolling his eyes whenever he was reprimanded. Yet Julian was
one of the youngest kids to run the Chicago Marathon, and with little
training, because he thought it would be a good challenge. There had
to be a way to channel that energy.

And how do you inspire little Viviana Gonzalez with the expressive
brown eyes, who was more than a bit distracted by boy problems?

In a variety of ways, Kroeber tried to build a motivational haven for
his 30 pupils. From the beginning, he felt a need to light a fire
inside of them about school. Even the brightest pupils, in their
checkered blue uniform skirts and light blue shirts and ties, seemed
uncomfortable in class discussions, as if their role was to just sit
there and take notes.

An avid reader, Kroeber filled the shelves in his classroom with
biographies and books on sports and history. He searched for clues to
subjects of interest to each of his pupils.

"A teacher's job is to find that thing that clicks with a kid and just
assault him with it," he said.

Above the front door, he posted a sign, "Carpe Diem." A small white
sheet with the red letters "accountability" found a home over the
chalkboard. On the front lectern, he posted a Gandhi quote: "You must
be the courage you wish to see in the world." On each pupil's desk, he
taped this from Frederick Douglass: "Without struggle, there is no
progress."

Mr. K also gave pupils his home phone number. He treated them to
lunch. He coached the flag football and basketball teams. He started
an after-school chess club.

Kroeber was planting seeds.

Motivating the motivator

For those paying attention, there was also the example of his own
life.

Some of Kroeber's college friends earn well over $50,000 salaries. But
in ICTC, Kroeber, a top college student, made $5 per day, plus medical
insurance and money that could be applied to student loans.

His home was a shabby old convent in Chicago's Little Village, where
he shared living space, meals and two telephone lines with seven other
people in the program.

"We'd come in and we could read each other in a second," Kroeber said.
"We couldn't do it alone."

Kroeber's room in the commune was a tiny one at the end of the
hallway, just big enough to fit a twin bed, a nightstand and heaps of
dirty clothes. He taped up on the wall dozens of 3-by-5 index cards
filled with motivational quotes he picked up over the years. One of
them, from baseball great Jackie Robinson, was a favorite: "No life is
important except in the way it teaches the lives of others."

After the Christmas break, Kroeber had some especially encouraging
results. Following weeks of after-school chats, Jose was opening up
about his dad's death.

"Before I thought of what would happen if my dad died and I would of
never guessed it, not in a million years," he wrote in January. "This
essay has a particular meaning. It's about the change and anger I feel
inside. I'm tired of people telling me they're sorry for what
happened. I know they mean it, but I know they don't understand."

By then, Jose was an after-school regular in Mr. K's classroom.

"A lot of teachers have friendships with you in the classroom, then go
their separate ways," Jose said one day after school. "Some people
just see him as a teacher. I see him as a friend."

By this time, it was clear Kroeber also had won an important ally in
the school principal, Sister Dolorine Lopez.

Because Kroeber had prepared pupils for the Constitution test for much
of the year, he pushed hard on one of his dreams: Taking them to
Washington, D.C., where they could see the federal government at work
and broaden their perspective beyond Pilsen.

Kroeber suggested the trip in his first year, but Sister Dolorine
rejected it. The principal was worried protective parents would resist
its cost and risk.

But after a year with Kroeber, Sister Dolorine relented. Her faith in
Kroeber—as well as ICTC itself—was secure. After observing
him and other ICTC recruits over the past several years, she now
prefers ICTC teachers over those prepared traditionally.

In its 10 years, more than half of ICTC teachers have remained in
teaching and many others have gone on to related public service work
such as juvenile law, social work or education policy. Sister Dolorine
will take any time they can give.

"They are just outstanding in every way," she said. "They are just
self-sacrificing. I mean, they give 100-plus."

A few bumps in road

Despite the headway he seemed to be making in the classroom, Mr. K
still had plenty of maddening moments. To get his pupils to improve
their writing skills, he introduced a "writer's workshop" that had
them writing dozens of stories, poems and letters. At least 10 kids
turned in obviously plagiarized papers.

Kroeber was also let down by Julian's continuing behavior problems.
After the principal complained that he had mouthed off to her, Mr. K
talked to Julian and decided he hadn't adequately apologized to the
principal. Julian's 8th-grade trip to Washington was canceled.

While it was hard to accept how painfully slow progress could be,
Kroeber tried to take the setbacks in stride.

"You have to look for small miracles," he said. "There's just lots of
disappointments. We're in the business of human beings."

Meanwhile, the reminders to keep at it seemed to be everywhere. One
afternoon after school, he was flipping through a Time magazine
article profiling the kids who had pulled the trigger in a series of
school shootings. Kroeber was immediately drawn into the article,
pointing out that in nearly every case the killers lacked strong adult
relationships.

"That's my worst fear for these kids, that they'll have no role
models," he said, whispering while a group of pupils lingered near his
desk.

Lesson in creativity

One cold winter day, pupils filed into Kroeber's class for a science
lesson only to find their teacher lying on the floor, apparently
unconscious. Jackie Lopez ran down three flights of stairs to tell the
principal. The rest of the class panicked.

But this was just another of Kroeber's attempts to bring creative
teaching approaches alive. Kroeber pointed to a Dunkin' Donuts coffee
cup in the garbage next to his desk and a cryptic note beside it. By
tracing evidence, the pupils could figure out who drugged Mr. K's
coffee and stole $3,000 he had stored for a class trip.

Over the next two weeks, they studied the crime scene and used their
emerging analytical skills to crack the case, then held a trial to
prosecute the suspects. For this lesson, Kroeber had another special
goal in mind—rebuilding Ulisses' confidence.

Ulisses was already an after-school fixture and played on Kroeber's
basketball team. His teacher's involvement seemed to be inspiring him.
He carried around a thick book on baseball that Mr. K gave him. He
read more books than he had read in a lifetime.

Under Kroeber, Ulisses got the first A of his school career.

"He just kept pushing me. Man, that's what I hate about him," Ulisses
said.

Ulisses was assigned the prosecutor's job and embraced it with a
diligence that surprised even his teacher. During cross-examination at
the mock trial, his barrage of questions for Ms. Vidal, a teacher
posing as a suspect, made it clear he was a changed boy. After years
of school struggles, he had triumphed.

"I got Ms. Vidal to collapse on the stand," Ulisses said with a
smile.

The successes were encouraging for Kroeber, but he was still torn.
During Christmas break at home in California, he felt a pull to return
to his family and girlfriend there.

A push to push themselves

At halftime in the tiny gym at the Boys and Girls Club a few blocks
from St. Paul, Kroeber the basketball coach geared up for a pep talk.
The St. Paul team, with a 1-4 record, was crumbling on the court,
trailing 26-8.

"What's happening?" Kroeber said, his players huddled around him. "Do
you guys want to play? Hustle is our game!"

They sat in silence.

"You guys are forgetting the stuff that you know," Kroeber said.
"Eighteen points doesn't matter if you're playing your game. Forget
about the scoreboard and just get out and do what you know how to
do!"

All year long, Kroeber delivered variations of that message. He
encouraged his pupils to push themselves as they had never done
before.

He forced pupils to show respect and follow rules. Pupils who talked
back to him, smacked their lips or rolled their eyes got instant
detentions. By year's end, he had given hundreds of them. Ulisses
alone said he served more than 100.

As the year neared an end, Kroeber spent even more time with pupils
outside class. He took them to movies or dinner. He took one boy to
his first baseball game.

At these many outings, Kroeber didn't talk to the pupils about his
plans for the following year. Most just assumed he would be back. Some
said they looked forward to after-school visits with Mr. K once they
got to high school.

In the final month of school, Kroeber had a good clue that he was
getting through to pupils when letters were delivered to an ICTC
retreat.

"Mr. K, you're a teacher that I've never had before," Sergio Sanchez
wrote, in broken English typical of many of the bilingual pupils. "One
reason is that we can be friends outside of school. You're a teacher
that may last many year to come. Hope you follow your dream to teach
at St. Paul for many year."

"You were there when my dad was not here so I consider you won of my
closest friend," wrote the pupil whom he took to his first baseball
game.

And this from Viviana Gonzalez, who had so many boy and other problems
that she and Mr. K came up with a "code blue" hand signal that let him
know instantly when she needed to talk: "Thank you 4 all the advice
u've given me," she wrote. "I'll alwayz have a place 4 U in my
heart."

Mr. K. learns too

At the end of May, all but one pupil made the D.C. trip. .

But Kroeber still came down on Julian. His attitude hadn't improved
enough to make the trip, and even after a tense meeting with his
parents, Kroeber and Sister Dolorine held firm.

Mr. K expected Julian to be furious about having to skip one of the
most memorable events of the year. So when Julian came back to class
scowling, Kroeber confronted him. He told him he could either finish
out the year angry or gear up for a strong finish.

Julian surprised even himself when he opted to take his teacher's
advice.

"After a while, I figured why be mad?" Julian said.

As frustrated as he was with his teacher at various points throughout
the year, Julian was still a fan. "He's taught me a lot of things that
I didn't know before," he said. "He's taught me to be a better person.
He told me whatever I want, I can have it if I try."

Kroeber said he learned something valuable from Ulisses and Julian and
a handful of others who had defied his initial impressions by year's
end.

"I believe every kid is reaching," he said. "I believe that more now
because I've seen it so much. I've encountered a couple kids who
people said were not reachable and I've reached them."

In the final days of class, emotions were high for the 8th graders as
they prepared to leave the school in which they had grown up. One
afternoon Mr. K asked the class to form a circle around the room for
"Circle Time." Throughout the year, this was the pupils' chance for
feedback.

But this time, one pupil asked Mr. K to share what he learned from
each of them. Kroeber moved around the room commenting on the
strengths of each pupil. When he got to Jose, the class was silent.
Jose had faced one of life's most difficult roads after his dad's
death, but somehow thrived, earning some of the best grades in the
class.

"I'm in awe of how much you've handled this year," Kroeber recalls
telling Jose that day. "You really bounced back from a really tough
scenario and still kept a smile on your face."

Slowly, quietly, tears streamed down Jose's face.

On the morning of May 29, the pupils took their seats after watching
the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Slumping on a stool at the front of the room, Kroeber finally told
them his plans.

"Next year, I won't be here," he said, his voice a notch above a
whisper.

Silence. The pupils barely moved. "I'm leaving teaching," Mr. K said.
"I'm leaving Chicago and moving back to Southern California. But I
want you guys to know I'll be in your lives as long as you want me to
be and that I've really enjoyed teaching this class."

Ulisses wiped the sweat off his forehead, then asked who would take
his place. Another ICTC teacher would fill the spot.

A second pupil asked if Mr. K would be back to visit.

Kroeber made the answer a class lesson. This has nothing to do with
his feelings toward them. It's about life. He has to move on to his
family in California and to pursue a dream to become a filmmaker.

"But I will be back a lot," he said. "You guys know how much a part of
my life you are and how much of a privilege this year has been."

Viviana, with her wide brown eyes, began to cry.

"It seems like I'm losing all my friends," she said later, clutching a
wadded-up tissue. "I think it's real important to have a teacher like
Mr. K. There's something about him. I don't know why, but everybody
feels like they have a friend."