I've used XFS for over a decade now. Its the most reliable crash resistant filesystem I've ever used according to all my tests and experience. But I have had a few bad patches on older versions of RHEL (before RedHat started supporting it) where it didn't work well, but historicity its worked perfectly on every non reheat based distro.
By the way I know why the performance goes down on NFS4 its mostly due to the fact that it supports xattribs natively and ext3 does not unless you explicitly turn it on when you mount the file system.
By the way I currently have several production servers running gluster on top of XFS serving both gluster native and NFS 3 clients and in several clusters it works perfectly for me.
Oh and the earlier confusion Netapps are BSD UNIX boxes and just like Unix Linux can serve NFS volumes Netapp didn't invent NFS nor are they even the best implementation. Give me a linux box with a san or a good raid controller any day they are faster and in the case of a SAN the are cheaper to scale

-- Sent from my HP Pre3