On 22/04/13 13:40, W K Daniel PUN wrote:

On 22 April 2013 17:45, John Pilkington <j.p...@tesco.net
<mailto:j.p...@tesco.net>> wrote:

    On 22/04/13 06:47, W K Daniel PUN wrote:

        Hi John, & other,

        Thank you very much for your reply.

        I did try to use atrpms.  After installing vlc, the system keep
        asking
        me to update a few libs and when I did it and got following
        errors.  The
        vlc is working fine with my system at the moment.  I don't want to
        remove the repos epel and rpmforge from my system.  Do I really
        need to
        get these updates done?  If don't, how can these update messages be
        stopped coming?  Or, should --skip-broken be used to work around as
        suggested?

        Thanks,
        -Daniel.

    You now have a mixed set of packages; I warned you about that.  I
    don't think you need to remove the other repos, but you ought to try
    disabling them during the installation process.  Todd's script looks
    as if it will do that - although you might now need to reinstall
    rather than upgrade - but other conflicts may emerge.  I shall
    probably be working with variants of that script to reconfigure my
    Fedora box, but my experience of mixing these repos is limited.

    John P

> Thanks John.  I didn't realise that I have already got a mixed set of
packages. What I tried to do now is that I remove the vlc package and
then reinstall it with

sudo yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=atrpms install vlc

The installation is okay, but the Security update message still come.

Extensible Binary Meta Language library
libebml-1.2.1-1.el6 (x86_64)

Open audio/video container format library
libmatroska-1.2.0-1.el6 (x86_64)

Modplug mod music file format library
libmodplug-1:0.8.8.3-2.el6 (x86_64)

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) SDK
libupnp-1.6.18-2.el6 (x86_64)

When click on update, I got

No packages to update

None of the slected packages could be updated.

More details
vlc-2.0.5-6.el6.x86_64 requires libthreadutil.so.2()(64bit)
vlc-2.0.5-6.el6.x86_64 requires libupnp.so.3()(64bit)
vlc-2.0.5-6.el6.x86_64 requires libebml.so.2()(64bit)
vlc-2.0.5-6.el6.x86_64 requires libmodplug.so.0()(64bit)
vlc-2.0.5-6.el6.x86_64 requires libmatroska.so.2()(64bit) : Success -
empty transaction

How can these 4 updates be stopped?

Thanks,
-Daniel.

Your last post came direct to me and didn't go to the list. I still haven't found the best way to reply on this list, but please check before hitting send.

Note:  I need to heed my own advice here.  Resending to list.

And I suspect that this list, like most others that I use, prefers 'bottom posting', so I've changed that.

I have just spent the morning moving my Fedora 17 box from an ATrpms base to rpmfusion; it still has unresolved problems. I recently did the same with my SL6 laptop. You have chosen to go the other way, so I can't easily compare what we see.

Your 'vlc requires' messages may be looking for packages from ATrpms-testing, which your command line above won't have enabled - you omitted a *. The name doesn't mean what it says; it just marks packages that may change RHEL functionality. The others may be from rpmfusion and you may be able to remove them by rpm -e if you don't need them elsewhere. I don't think I can offer any more help. Good luck.

John P