Greetings,

I'm having this strange behavior that I think is a hardware problem I can't find.

I can usually run for 4-8 hrs without a problem then all of a sudden I get one of the following:

 * System freezes, mouse and keyboard dead, sshd unresponsive sometimes
 * if the keyboard is alive going to an open terminal I get one of the
   following errors about equally probable:
     o input out put error
     o too many files open
     o bus error
     o may be others that haven't happened for a while

I've run memtest for 10 hrs, no problem. Fsck shows now problem, disk utility show those with SMART are all fine.

I have now found any particular program or operation that causes the failure.

Any suggestions on how to find the cause.

I'm just about ready to sacrifice a small animal as soon as I find the old gypsy woman who reads the entrails and tells me which part to replace.

Thanks,
Joe