On 06/06/2013 05:14 PM, John Lauro wrote:
If you read the bug report, he wasn't complaining about the requirement
for root to update, only that it did not ask for it and simply tries to
update and crashes.

Don't need to read it, as I am the one who wrote the bug report.
But I will reread it, as my technical writing leaves a lot to
be desired.  (Hey, I know what I mean, everyone else should
read my mind!  lol)

This is the part of the bug report I am referring to:

      Would you please add a feature that asks for the "root"
      password before trying to upgrade?  And, not attempt
      to upgrade, unless the user is actually "root" or has
      been elevated to root.

I later remarked that I like the way Mac OS prompts.  And
I later added that /usr/bin/system-config-network prompts
you for your root password, maybe see how they did it

Please everyone vote for this bug!

-T