I think maybe you should learn more about building from SRPM's. IIt's OK,
we were all new once!

I urge you to take the SRPM and use something like thisk:

      rpm -U kernel-[version].src.rpm
      rpmbuild -ba ~/buildrpm/SPECS/kernel.spec

This builds it once, with all the published packages reported if missing,
and all the patches and any extra source files in ~/buildrpm/SOURCES/. Red
Hat elects to tweak some parameters, to include some moduels as built-in
and others as modules and to pull in tome patches from more recent kernels
to apply on older, more stable kernels. This will get those patches applied
for you.

IF you need to patch your kernel, you cna then write it into a modified
SRPM and have an actual, managed kernel with all the RPM based "post" and
"pre" steps to integrate it well with your system.