Hi Tom,

I'm not sure how to find it in XP either especially when DHCP is
involved.  I have been meaning to set up an XP VM maybe that will get
done soon enough to be of some help.

It's not uncommon for home routers to act as a local DNS server but I
suspect it may be misconfigured and what's happening is SL requests a
resolution from the router, it times out and then goes onto the ISP's.

You can verify this from SL by comparing "dig google.com" with "dig
@8.8.8.8 google.com"  where 8.8.8.8 is google's public dns server and
the only one who's IP I know by heart.  Toward the end of the crap it
prints out is

    ;; Query time: 47 msec
    ;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)

I suspect you'll find the default probably reporting a time out for your
router then reporting the ISP's dns.

Hopefully you know the passwords for your DSL Router (and your ISP is
nice enough to give it to you).  I would guess it's an easy change to
configure the DNS servers it uses correctly.

Joe