On 07/01/2014 11:16 AM, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 6:17 AM, Lamar Owen <lo...@pari.edu> wrote:

??? That is not at all what I got from his reply.  What I got was that CERN
will still be committing resources, but instead of duplicating effort
they're joining up with the CentOS effort.
Whatever.

Well, apparently I understood Jarek's post correctly.

  The relevant questions are: (1) Will SL's goal continue to
be creating a re-spin of Red Hat Enterprise and *not* CentOS, since
Red Hat's clear goal in acquiring CentOS is to create divergence
between the two;

It would be detrimental to their bottom line to do so, since so many people are out there who could potentially blow the whistle on any such divergence.

  and (2) what mechanism(s) will SL use to achieve that
goal? (Specifically, will SL compare the git sources against actual
SRPMs obtained via subscription?)

If the SL developers want to reply, they will. I trust Connie and all the rest are working on the situation, and I trust their judgement for their project.

The *goal* of CentOS used to be binary compatibility, even if it was never 100% achieved.

What matters is what they intended it to mean, which has never been 'bit for bit identical.' What does 'binary compatibility' really mean? (I take it to mean that all software compiled and linked for one will run on the other; and that doesn't require the packages to be anywhere close in terms of a binary compare; the CentOS test includes more than that.) The following post from 2011 points to the info on how the CentOS project has historically done the binary compatibility test: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-April/109483.html (the actual script has been moved to vault; see http://vault.centos.org/4.9/build/distro/tmverifyrpms for the actual script, dated March 10, 2011).

Further, '100% binary compatibility' to me means that 100% of the software built for one will run absolutely unmodified with identical behavior on both systems (the binaries built on one are 100% compatible with the other). Compatible doesn't mean and has never meant identical at the byte for byte compare level.

No one yet in this thread has provided a public, no
login required, link to up-to-date sources for SLES 11.
Yes, you keep bringing this up as if it were an argument.

It's a valid counter-example. If the violation of not publicly releasing source RPMS and tying subscription status with continued access were so egregious then SuSE would have been sued into oblivion long ago, and the absence of such suits makes it more difficult for the argument to be made that Red Hat, which is making up-to-date sources available, is violating where SuSE is not (which does not make up-to-date sources available).