On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 9:02 AM, Tim Kanuka <tim.kan...@lightsource.ca> wrote:
> I think having a EPEL mirror in the way described by Steve is an excellent
> idea. It exactly parallels my own requirement (and I suppose any site's
> requirement) of managing updates to many machines. The only way to guarantee
> that you are not going to break something with an update is to test your
> applications on an updated *test* environment. The only way to guarantee that
> your *production* environment is updated in the same way as the *test*
> environment is to have a mirror repo that is not changing unexpectedly.

I'd like to note that EPEL is not the only 3rd party repository. :-)

In the case of ELRepo, it was also debated when to release the
7.1-based packages. They are all built against RHEL 7.1 like EPEL's.
One thing that is different from EPEL is that ELRepo's el7.1 packages
that are _not_ backward compatible will not install on systems < 7.1.
yum will complain. My understanding is that EPEL packages do not have
such 'Requires'.

Akemi