On 04/11/2015 03:13 PM, Kevin K wrote:
On Apr 11, 2015, at 4:39 PM, ToddAndMargo <toddandma...@zoho.com> wrote:

On 04/11/2015 11:06 AM, Brandon Vincent wrote:
IR mode

What is IR mode?

That appears to be when the controller is running in RAID mode.  Especially
with integrated controllers, there can be the option to run the drives in raid
mode or normal mode.

In the past when I bothered with this in computers I ran at home, the advantage
of raid mode was you could have, say, 2 hard drives treated as 1 by the BIOS
and operating system.  So you could boot off of the raid system, and have an OS
driver take over from it later.

In normal mode, if you wanted to RAID, you probably needed at least 3 hard
drives.  A boot drive, and the others raided together using the OS software.  I
kind of stopped doing this with a combination of OS software being sufficient
to combine drives, and with drives (even SSDs) getting much larger.

That explains it.  Thank you!