On 05/20/2015 05:00 AM, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
Hi ToddAndMargo!

  On 2015.05.19 at 21:04:10 -0700, ToddAndMargo wrote next:

I am trying to do this with wget:

wget --connect-timeout=20 --read-timeout=1  --quiet  \
http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/utility/ -O -

Problem: the site takes FOREVER to complete its download.  Dribble,
dribble, dribble.  Occasionally is just stops.  And wget hangs.

I fired this web page up in Firefox ten minutes ago and it is still

Is there a way to get wget to just time out after a while?

curl has -m option for that

Hi Vladimir,

  -m/--max-time <seconds>
              Maximum  time  in  seconds that you allow the whole
              operation to take.  This is useful for preventing
              your batch jobs from hanging for hours due to slow
              networks or links going down.  See also the
              --connect-timeout option.

              If this option is used several times, the last one
              will be used.

Dang.  Missed that.  I thought I had read the man page line by
line too.

Thank you!

-T