> On May 24, 2018, at 2:17 PM, Bill <r.w.as...@boeing.com> wrote:
>
> I am creating a custom installation ISO using kickstart.  This install ISO is
> based on SL 7.2.
>
> When I burn a DVD from this ISO I can boot from the DVD and the install menu
> come up as expected.
>
> When I use dd to copy the ISO to a USB key and try to boot from the USB key
> the install menu does not appear and the system boots from the hard drive.
>
> I tried using dd to copy the SL7.2 ISO to a USB key.  When I try to boot from
> this USB key the install menu comes up as expected.
>
> What files on the SL7.2 have to do with booting from the USB key?

“Any if them”, especially the boot loader, which is normally written *before*
the partition information and superblicks for the filesystem. That was what
“dd” copies first which file copies would not copy.

> Is there a mkisofs option I should be using to make booting USB key work?

“dd” is your friend. There are many guidelines for building bootable cd’s you
could review, but you can probably save a lot of work not using that.