On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 8:29 PM Teh, Kenneth M.
<00000864eace5c83-dmarc-requ...@listserv.fnal.gov> wrote:

> This is probably heresy to you but I'll pitch it anyway. I'm also a terminal,
> command line person, having started with AIX in '89, and VMS before that.
>
> I've been using Fedora with gnome 3 now for the past 3 years after I ran into
> problems with outdated development tools.  It is surprisingly very command
> line friendly. I invoke all my apps from the keyboard  The Super (Windows)
> key is your friend.  Hit Super and type the name of the app, and up pops its
> window.  And it does name completion as well showing your possible matched
> options after having typed only the first few letters of the app's name. And
> if you don't care to type the name, super and tab to "scroll" down the icons
> of your favorites on the dock, and hit return.
>
> And since CentOS is essentially Fedora-based, the file layouts are identical.
> I remember struggling to find files, even the package names when I had to put
> Ubuntu on a newly-bought laptop.
>
> My biggest concern was the rapid obsolescence. But I've learned to deal with
> it.  The upgrade is painless and the dnf system-upgrade has worked without
> any problems from 27 to 31 which is where I am now.
>
> Well, just my 2 bits.
>
> Good luck.

It's why I publish RPM building tools for vtwm, at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_nkadel_vtwm-2D5.5.x-2Dsrpm&d=DwIFaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=86AkxVobOiiYnsxjJOrEG0fPeEVdv7MJpk7i13eP6to&s=KKB9w_jCPp3S4gTfQXVLVQL4ob76veSK8uFfQU0CeSA&e=
  Still works fine on CentOS
8, SL 7, and Fedora 32. It's *amazing* how much more stable software
can be when you KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)