I respectfully must slightly disagree with you.

In terms of security fixes and new hardware drivers, the issues of backporting (that is, to make a bit of software compatible -- buildable -- with the core gcc/g++ environment of a "very old" Linux, including SL) may require a great deal of work. Unlike those environments that use "micro-kernels", Linux (thanks to Torvalds' insistence) is a monolith, and changing one aspect of a monolith often changes many other aspects. (A micro-kernel -- "Mach" -- approach more easily can have encapsulation and "isolation.)

New hardware drivers are needed if one is using the environment on a platform that has "current" hardware for which new hardware drivers are needed. This is more common on a laptop workstation, but happens on servers and real-time control and data acquisition systems (e.g., the experimental environment of HEP).

Could an SL7 base be kept up to date on these issues? Probably. However, a technical staff of a few (less than five) full time professionals might not suffice given the number of lines of source code that are involved. Moreover, the current professionals who maintained SL at Fermilab/CERN may not want to be involved, given that each may have a "permanent" "real job" position at Fermilab/CERN or a participating entity (e.g. a university). Thus, your subscription model may not be practical -- and the use of volunteers or compensated "Gig economy" "workers" does not result in stability. Stability requires compensated permanent professionals (except for those who are independently "wealthy" and are willing to be permanent "volunteers", an unlike staff arrangement).

Yasha Karant