I fully agree. The security-against-compromise integrity of up-ported "SL7" using C++n, for some n > n(RHEL 7."latest or last" distro) requires "professional" re-evaluation, penetration testing, and monitoring. Will this be done? I too have run into the same issues with backporting, and for that reason switched to Ubuntu current LTS (for now). As for IA-32 support, this will be a larger issue -- particularly as much basic research without the possibility of a profit-driven product (e.g., a vaccine because of public funds being expended for basic research into biology and medical science, both human and non-human) is heavily underfunded; hence, your reference to using hardware obsolete but fully adequate systems for which current release software is becoming increasingly scarce.

For the Apple Mac community: as is known, Apple is leaving the X86-64 platform for an ARM platform. Will older applications be updated, or will new (and in some cases, newly licensed-for-fee) applications be required?