(apologies to jmh for sending this twice, forgot to send it to the list)

I'd like to know how others are dealing with this.  Is anybody using
Ubuntu clients with SL servers for instance?  Any other words of wisdom
on this topic?

Personally, I don't think its scientific applications in general that
are lacking, but Firefox 2.0, for example.  I don't mind installing
the odd application in /usr/local/bin, but I don't want to have to
install most of the things I use that way.

I've just started up a lab that is using Linux workstations and
servers, and I felt it was a lot easier to just install Fedora on the
workstations.  Lots of flexibility (and lots of rope to hang yourself
with.)

But, for our servers, I need them to be compatible with Redhat and
very stable.  In general, there aren't users using them directly.  SL
seems like the way to go.

I've used Ubuntu, and I felt like it got a bit messy.  There are so
many things available, but a lot of them didn't work very well.