We have asked may times for volunteers to help us put all of those
 scientific applications into SL.  The only thing we ever get is "please
 put in so.and.so".  We do not get "Yes, I will help you put in these
 scientific applications".

        Ok, I'll bite :)

I've made IRAF and other astronomy apps rpms for el5. The repo is in
        http://cosmos.astro.uson.mx/~favilac/downloads/IRAF/el5/

        Just install this file and you are good to go:
        astro-uson.repo-1.0-1.el5.uson.noarch.rpm

        The problem of making this kind of rpms, are dependencies.
When I made the repo, i had to build some python apps that weren't on the official repos, or in rpmforge but now they are starting to appear in them, so there's a little chance of problems down the road from cross-dependencies.

        I'll try to add more apps later, but i won't give an ETA on it ;)