Urs Beyerle wrote:
Akemi Yagi wrote:
2009/4/8 Urs Beyerle <urs.beye...@env.ethz.ch>:
Hi,

I can just confirm that atheros wifi and WPA is broken on 2.6.18-128.1.1.el5
kernel or later at least on one of my systems.

The "problem" seems to be that Redhat has added ath5k.ko in
2.6.18-128.1.1.el5 kernel. ath5k.ko was not yet there in 2.6.18-128.el5 and
older kernels.

At the moment I don't know why it's not working. As far as I see,
wpa_supplicant is not working with ath5k driver. And per default ath5k is
loaded even if madwifi is installed. Or you get even a mix of loaded ath
modules. See

/sbin/lsmod | grep ath

However, if I disable/remove ath5k.ko, madwifi is still not working???
There is a CentOS wiki article on the Atheros AR5007EG card.  I don't
know if this is related, but there is some chance that the info on
that page might help.

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/WirelessAR5007EG

It basically tells you to replace the current madwifi with the newer
version (from source), and blacklist ath5k.

Akemi

Thanks for the link.

I just tried the latest madwifi snapshot and blacklist ath5k. But I had no success :-(

So I started from scratch.

Since ath5k driver should make madwifi obsolete and it's now in the RHEL kernel, I removed all madwifi related RPMs from my SL53 system.

Disabled wpa_supplicant with "chkconfig wpa_supplicant off" - NetworkManager will start wpa_supplicant.

Afterwards I configure the wireless network adapter with "system-config-network" by removing the old wireless adapter entry and I add a new wireless device (wlan0). This should create a file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
TYPE=Wireless
DEVICE=wlan0
HWADDR=
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=

And I had to manually correct /etc/modprobe.conf by adding the line

alias wlan0 ath5k

remove "alias wlan0 ath_pci"

Reboot and now I can connect to my WPA WLAN access point again! :-)

There is one drawback, if I shutdown/stop NetworkManager I get a kernel panic :-(

Nevertheless I hope in case ath5k works nicely, madwifi on SL5 will be obsolete.

    Urs

Hi All,
Sorry for joining the thread late, but I had to double check that my home computer was on the latest kernel. For me, the madwifi is working better with the update. But I am not using NetworkManager, since this is a home computer and not a laptop.

# lspci
01:06.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR2413 802.11bg NIC (rev 01)

# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias wifi0 ath_pci
alias eth1 ath_pci

# lsmod | grep ath
ath_pci                88740  0
wlan                  181776  1 ath_pci
ath_hal               195408  1 ath_pci
ath5k                  97001  0
mac80211              137801  1 ath5k
cfg80211               30793  2 ath5k,mac80211

# cat ifcfg-wifi0
# Atheros Communications Inc. AR2413 802.11bg NIC
DEVICE=wifi0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=????
TYPE=Wireless
ESSID=????
DHCP_HOSTNAME=dragon
MODE=Managed
USERCTL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
PEERDNS=yes

# rpm -q madwifi kernel-module-madwifi-`uname -r`
madwifi-0.9.4-15.i686
kernel-module-madwifi-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5-0.9.4-15.sl5.i686
kernel-module-madwifi-hal-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5-0.9.4-15.sl5.i686

So, in the end, I *think* I'm using the madwifi kernel module, but I also have the ath5k loaded as well. But all my configuration files are pointing at the madwifi stuff.

Don't know if this helps the discussion or not. But that is how I've got things setup. At some point I'll have to install SL 5.3 without the madwifi and see what happens.
Troy
Troy Dawson  daw...@fnal.gov  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI LMSS Group