Looks like we didn't get enough testing done, and maybe rrdtool doesn't really need to be in the plain SL release.

I have no problem pulling it out of the release and having people just install it from dag or EPEL, whichever they prefer. Since it hasn't gotten into any final release, this isn't that much of a problem, I just need to take it out of the repositories.

Does anyone *really* need it in the release? Is there any real reasons why people can't get it from dag and/or EPEL after they are installed?

Troy

p.s. Just so you know, we didn't test it with every EPEL package. When I said that "these packages are compatible with both epel and dag" I was meaning the rrdtool package. It was packaged in the EPEL fashion and naming convention, with provides statements so that it worked and updated corrected with the dag repository.

Fernando Campos wrote:
Hello world!

I'm having a very similar problem installing /ntop/ package from epel, which I think needs /rrdtool-1.2.30-2.sl4/, since the yum installation procces ask me for /librrd_th.so.2/, but I'm running SL53, so the available package for this SL version is /rrdtool-1.3.9-2.sl5/.

Should I download and install the version I need by hand, install with rpm and block yum to update rrdtool??

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Fernando.

Some information about my problem:

# lsb_release -a
LSB Version: :core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch
Distributor ID: ScientificSL
Release:        5.3
Codename:       Boron

# uname -rimvr
2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jan 20 01:05:28 EST 2010 i686 i386

# yum list rrdtool ntop
Loaded plugins: kernel-module, priorities
2272 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Available Packages
ntop.i386 3.3.9-7.el5 epel rrdtool.i386 1.3.9-2.sl5 sl-security

# yum deplist ntop | grep rrd
  dependency: librrd_th.so.2
  dependency: librrd_th.so.2
  dependency: librrdPlugin-3.3.8.so <http://librrdPlugin-3.3.8.so>
  dependency: librrdPlugin-3.2.so <http://librrdPlugin-3.2.so>
  dependency: libmyrrd-3.2.so <http://libmyrrd-3.2.so>
  dependency: librrd_th.so.2
  dependency: librrdPlugin-3.3.so <http://librrdPlugin-3.3.so>
  dependency: librrd_th.so.4
* provider: rrdtool.i386 1.3.9-2.sl5* -> Looks like this package is enough for ntop but...
  dependency: librrdPlugin-3.3.8.so <http://librrdPlugin-3.3.8.so>
  dependency: librrdPlugin-3.3.6.so <http://librrdPlugin-3.3.6.so>
  dependency: librrd_th.so.2

]# yum install ntop
Loaded plugins: kernel-module, priorities
2272 packages excluded due to repository priority protections
Setting up Install Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package ntop.i386 0:3.3.9-7.el5 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: libGeoIP.so.1 for package: ntop
--> Processing Dependency: librrd_th.so.2 for package: ntop
--> Processing Dependency: graphviz for package: ntop
--> Running transaction check
---> Package geoip.i386 0:1.4.5-1.el5.rf set to be updated
---> Package graphviz.i386 0:2.24.0-1.el5.sl <http://2.24.0-1.el5.sl> set to be updated
---> Package ntop.i386 0:3.3.9-7.el5 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: librrd_th.so.2 for package: ntop
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
ntop-3.3.9-7.el5.i386 from epel has depsolving problems
--> Missing Dependency: librrd_th.so.2 is needed by package ntop-3.3.9-7.el5.i386 (epel)
Beginning Kernel Module Plugin
Finished Kernel Module Plugin
Error: Missing Dependency: librrd_th.so.2 is needed by package ntop-3.3.9-7.el5.i386 (epel)
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
                        package-cleanup --dupes
                        rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Thanks again!